Monday, September 14, 2015

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Stand alone or series: First in a trilogy
Source: Purchased by me
Format: Print


Summary

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

Review

There was so much about this book that bothered me, and I almost gave up on it several times. I think the thing that bothered me most though was the Belly (horrible nickname by the way), the protagonist.  

 It bothered me when Jeremiah and Belly overheard a conversation between their mothers about Suzanne's breast cancer and Belly had no clue how to comfort him, all she could think of saying was "I hope your mom doesn't lose a boob." Really? This is why a lot of people hate YA.  Jenny Han had so many opportunities to show character growth, but she never took advantage of it.

The one thing that this book had going for it was that it got me out of my reading slump. Unfortunately, I have already bought this trilogy together (before reading the first) so I will probably force myself to read the last two soon.  


Page count: 276 pages
Starred Rating: 2.5 stars
Publisher: Simon & Schuster



This is not a sponsored review unless explicitly stated. All opinions expressed in this review belong to me and all products were purchased by me unless otherwise stated. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment