Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What You Left Behind by Jessica Verdi

Stand Alone or Series: Stand Alone
Source: Received from Sourcebooks for review
Format: ARC (Comes out 8/4/15)
 ,

Summary

It’s all Ryden’s fault. If he hadn’t gotten Meg pregnant, she would have never stopped her chemo treatments and would still be alive. Instead, he’s failing fatherhood one dirty diaper at a time. And it’s not like he’s had time to grieve while struggling to care for their infant daughter, start his senior year, and earn the soccer scholarship he needs to go to college.

The one person who makes Ryden feel like his old self is Joni. She’s fun and energetic—and doesn’t know he has a baby. But the more time they spend together, the harder it becomes to keep his two worlds separate. Finding one of Meg’s journals only stirs up old emotions, and Ryden’s convinced Meg left other notebooks for him to find, some message to help his new life make sense. But how is he going to have a future if he can’t let go of the past?

Review

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Sourcebooks for review. As always, all opinions are mine.

 One of the things I liked about What You Left Behind is that right from the start I realized that this book isn't like the others in the "teen pregnancy" genre. Usually books about teenage pregnancy follow a teenage girl, who gets pregnant and then has to cope with it throughout the story. Well, this book is nothing like that.

Another thing I liked was how addictive my reading experience was while reading this book. Prior to reading this, I was in a reading slump. For two weeks I would pick up a book, not being able to concentrate on it then I would put it down. But as soon as I opened my package I started this book and I didn't put it down for the three hours it took me to finish it.

One of the things that really bothered me was the main character Ryden. He was selfish, stupid and self absorbed. He would whine to his mom about not being able to go soccer practice because he was irresponsible and became a father even before he took his SAT's.  

Besides the fact that I hated Ryden, overall I really enjoyed this book. And I am sure I will be buying a finished copy when it is released August 4th 2015.

Page Count: 368 Pages
Starred Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire



This is not a sponsored review unless explicitly stated. All opinions expressed in this review belong to me and all products were purchased by me unless otherwise stated. All opinions are my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment