Monday, July 13, 2015

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins


Stand Alone or Series: First book in a planned duology
Source: Purchased by me
Format: Print and Audio book
3330058



Summary

Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same.

Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act -- suicide.

Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade.

Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, can only find peace through pills.

And Conner, outwardly, has the perfect life. But dig a little deeper and find a boy who is in constant battle with his parents, his life, himself.

In one instant each of these young people decided enough was enough. They grabbed the blade, the bottle, the gun -- and tried to end it all. Now they have a second chance, and just maybe, with each other's help, they can find their way to a better life -- but only if they're strong and can fight the demons that brought them here in the first place.
 

Review

Warning: This book deals with subjects such as depression, self harm, suicide and rape

So this was my first Ellen Hopkins book. I've always wanted to read one of her works but I was always intimidated to read them because I've never read a novel in verse. But I'm really glad that I decided to finally pick something by her up. 

One of the things I really loved was that Ellen Hopkins never strayed from important and potentially touchy topics. Because she did this, Impulse brings awareness to mental health, which sadly a lot of people choose to ignore.

One of the things I didn't particularly love about this book is the multiple POV's. Usually I would love this aspect but I found it really hard to tell the narrators apart. A lot of times I had to go to the beginning of the chapter to remind myself who's narrative I was reading from. 

Most people say in their reviews what age they think should be able to read this book but personally I think that books shouldn't be filtered by age they should be filtered by the maturity of the reader. So if you can handle the topics like rape, self harm, depression, suicide and eating disorders I would recommend this book for you. If it's your type of book of course.

Page count: 667 pages
Starred Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books



Goodreads status updates

marked as:to-read

marked as:currently-reading

page 131
19.0%

page 131
19.0%

marked as:to-read

marked as:currently-reading

page 464
69.0%

page 533
80.0%"Listening to the audiobook but thinking about reading the rest.im loving this book"

marked as:read

page 533
80.0%"This book is probably the most beautiful book I have ever read. 15 out of 5 stars"

This is not a sponsored review unless explicitly stated. All opinions expressed in this review belong to me and all products were purchased by me unless otherwise stated. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment